Applications are invited for the 2017 round of scholarships to work with the University Library’s Special Collections during Summer 2017. Full details can be found here.
The University of St Andrews has an outstanding collection of books, archives and photography, accumulated throughout the six hundred years since the University’s foundation. The collection is especially rich in the History of Science, Theology and Church History, Literary Studies and Photography. In addition to a substantial collection of incunabula and early printed books, the library has a significant eighteenth-century collection dating from its period as a Copyright Library (1710-1836). The archives also include an exceptional collection of 15th -16th century materials relating to Fife and to the University and city of St Andrews.
Visiting Scholarships have been offered for the past three years and we are delighted to be able to invite scholars external to the University of St Andrews to apply to research a topic in the Library’s Special Collections. The scholarships are open to all interested researchers, whether or not affiliated to a university, and at whatever level. The Scholarship gives the applicant the opportunity to visit the University of St Andrews and experience first-hand the Library’s unique collections which offer research potential across an exceptionally broad array of disciplines. All activity must be based strongly on the Special Collections of the University of St Andrews Library and the work will be undertaken in the Napier Reading Room within the Richardson Research Library in Martyrs Kirk.
All applications are assessed by a panel of academics and Library staff.
Successful candidates will be in receipt of
- Financial support up to a maximum of £1,500 to cover travel and accommodation, but not subsistence, during the Scholarship
- Accommodation in a University hall of residence. The cost of this will be paid directly by the University, which will also make all necessary arrangements for residency.
- A warm welcome to Special Collections and invitations to take part in its activities, e.g. seminars and workshops
- Curatorial support during the Scholarship
- Reading Room provision
- Sponsored email account
- Scholarships can be taken at a mutually agreed time between 1 July and 31 August 2017.
- Scholarships will last for a period of between two and eight weeks.
Application is by completion of the form available on our website, deadline 13 January 2017.