Professor Al Dowie
Professor of Medical Ethics & Law
PhD (Edinburgh) in the social construction of ethical practice and the ethnography of organisational culture; ethics educator in the undergraduate medical and dental curricula at Glasgow University; postgraduate roles in ethics curricula for Royal Colleges membership; panel member drafting General Medical Council guidance for doctors on confidentiality. Chair of the pre-implantation genetic testing expert panel for NHS Scotland National Services Division; Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh; Associate Editor for history and medical humanities, Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh.
Research and Teaching Interests
Hermeneutics; moral motivation; medical student learning in ethics and professionalism; medical student experiences in the clinical setting.
- BDS1 (Dentistry, first year)
- BDS2 (Dentistry, second year)
- BDS3 (Dentistry, third year)
- BDS4 (Dentistry, fourth year)
- BDS5 (Dentistry, fifth year)
- MBChB1 (Medicine, first year)
- MBChB2 (Medicine, second year)
- MBChB3 (Medicine, third year)
- MBChB4 (Medicine, fourth year)
- MBChB5 (Medicine, fifth year)
- Medical and Research Ethics (MSc in Translational Medical Sciences)