Date: Thursday 7th July – Saturday 9th July 2016
Location: Dalhousie Building, Old Hawkhill, Dundee, DD1 5EN (View Map)
Registration: £20-£80 (student discounts and single-day tickets available). Register at the Eventbrite page.
Keynote Speakers: Lynda Barry, Al Davison, and Elisabeth El Rafaie, with a special workshop run by Lynda Barry & Dan Chaon
The theme of this year’s conference, Stages & Pages, invites us to think about comics and healthcare in relation to performance in its myriad conflicting and complementary forms, from the clinical, to the social and the theatrical. Both clinicians and patients alike often feel the need to live up to prescribed “roles” both on and off the medical “stage”, and this conference will consider the various ways in which comics address these issues. Issues discussed will include but will not be limited to:
- Comic narratives of stages of life, illness, and the medical career
- Stages of the creative process, process as performance, and the relation of the creative process to disability, illness, and medicine
- The comic/body as stage
- Comics and the social performance of illness, disability, and the healthcare profession
- Technical performance in healthcare, illness, disability, and comics
- The use of space in performance, illness, disability, and healthcare
- Ethical implications of comics and performance
- Trends in, histories of, or the use of comics in healthcare
- The use of comics and design in the service of healthcare education
Please note that all attendees will be required to register for 1 of the 2 Lynda Barry & Dan Chaon workshops. Workshop registration is free but ticketed and available here.